Caprese Soup with Mozzarella
There’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of Caprese soup with shredded Laverstoke buffalo mozzarella. The key to this recipe is to use the freshest ingredients possible- not a can of chopped tomatoes in sight! This tomato based soup is the perfect bed for a generous handful of shredded mozzarella- giving the soup a delicious twist.
1 kg organic fresh tomatoes
125g ball of Laverstoke organic mozzarella
2 celery stalks
1 red chilli
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 litre good quality vegetable or chicken stock
100ml double cream
50g unsalted butter
1/2 fresh bunch of basil
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch of sugar
- To prep- chop onions, garlic, celery, chilli and tomatoes.
- Sweat onions, garlic and celery on medium heat.
- Then add tomatoes and chilli, a pinch of sugar and cook for about 10 min.
- Add stock and boil for 15 min.
- Add basil, leaving a few leaves for decoration.
- Mix in blender until smooth.
- Put back on the stove, add cream & more stock if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup in to a bowl, add grated mozzarella and basil leaves on top.
Chef’s Top Tip!
Use the mozzarella at room at temperature, so it melts perfectly and retains the heat of the soup.
To achieve the smoothest soup, pass it through a sieve!